Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Any ideas on how much it would cost to ship a dog?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Default Any ideas on how much it would cost to ship a dog?

It is very expensive and the dog must be quarantined for up to 6 months. I adopted 2 dogs because the people where moving from Florida to London and it was going to cost them well over 5,000 to bring them both and that still wasn't all the fees.

Your best info on shipping fees would probably come from the airlines. Just call and give them weight and destination. You definitely need to check on the paperwork and possible quarantine - I know from some places the quarantine can be as much as 6 mos. Vacs must be up to date to ship as well as to enter the country. Here are a couple of good websites that might help: www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm or www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/info/customs/england.shtml or www.quarantine.co.uk/Good Luck!

i would call the airlines and see what they say as well. there are also special companies that ship pets for their owners. try googling pet shipping or something like that and you should find what you are looking for. if you are just flying with a pet it would go in a heated cargo section and your vet also might be able to give you more information.

Google the Pet Travel Scheme, PETS. Information I am finding says that the six-month wait was lifted in 2002 for qualifying dogs. Since it is so dangerous to send a dog as cargo, I'd look into fitting it under the seat.Side note, all the sites I saw regarding this was people moving from the UK to Canada because they could not find work. I hope you have a good job lined up.

Talk with both the British embassy in the U.S. AND with the airlines. I know from past experience (domestic flights) that you must have a health certificate or the animal that is dated within 7 days of your flight. If the animal is to fly in the cabin of the plane, it must be in an airline-apprved carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you. If the animal can fly in the cabin, you have to purchase a separate ticket for it, and no more than 1 or 2 animals are allowed in the cabin on any one flight. If the animal is flown in the cargo hold, it is shipped as "live freight" and the rates are different. Each airline has different regulations and rates, so be sure to talk with the same airline as the one you plan to use. If the dog is shipped as freight, you may save some by shopping around among different air carriers.Don't know if there's such a thing as "quarantine here," but you could take that up with Embassy people. I adopted 2 salukis that belonged to people who moved to England and couldn't afford to ship them and didn't want them in quarantine.