Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Fashion & Accessories
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

need help with modeling?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Default need help with modeling?

well i'm 19 and currently in school , i plan on staying in school and finishing with a communications major. it would be a dream to be involved in some way modeling, ideally i am way too short for any type of high fashion but that absolutely doesn't rule out all the other opportunities that are available. i am VERY into cars, so being involved in that realm of car/import modeling would be amazing. if there is any advice or help anyone could give on how to get my foot in the door, that would be most appreciated. i'm 5'4 half asian half italian long dark hair and brown eyes.well i don't think that is necessary bc i am going to school in new jersey and i live right by new york city. i meant something more specific.thank you, answers are helping already.

go to las vegas and work there

You need to get a portfolio together, which is collection of professional photographs. Check out local reputable modeling agencies in your area. Make an appointment with them and go from there. You may be marketable for print work! Good luck!

I agree that it's really hard to get into high fashion or runway modeling if you are less than 5'7. About impossible actually. If import/promo modeling is what you are most interested in I would just get a starter account on some of the most widely used model networking sites. My fave when I started out was onemodelplace.com. There starter accounts were free when I first signed up but this was like 6 years ago so I don't know if it still is. Other places that are hugely popular right now are modelmayhem.com and musecube.com.Set up a free account with some flattering pics of yourself (mostly just so photographers who view your pages will know what you look like at first) and start using the searches the site provides to find photographers in your area. Take a look at their pages and when you find a photographer who's style you like message them and ask them if they would be interested in doing a shoot. This is the best way to build experience and confidence. After you have a few great shots to sell yourself start looking for listings (on these sites or elsewhere) for models needed in car shows/promo work. This way you will be able to "sell yourself" per se to whoever is putting the events together. Going to car shows and strutting your stuff couldn't hurt either. It's all about your portfolio and who you know. So network with photographers and car buffs who go to shows would be a tremendous advantage. Good luck!

I don't know of any particular agencies but I think you could definitely do commercial modeling or video modeling like music videos. Maybe do some web research or look in the newspaper because I often see open call ads for models, actress etc. scouting. It may be the first step.