Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Fashion & Accessories
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

How can I start this business?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Default How can I start this business?

I'd like to sell clothing that has Current US styles, but in a more modest fashion.I'm assuming, the cheapest way to get this done is by sending designs abroad and importing the custom-made clothes to the US...then selling them through a professional website. The goal is to eventually own a boutique in NY, when the website becomes successfulso...any help as to how to start? My dad is willing to invest as much as needed to start me off, but I'd like to start off on maybe a $500-$1K budget...What rules do i need to know about importing clothing?How do I get people from abroad to make the designs?WHAT DO I DO?!Thanks so much!I would think it would be a better idea to get samples made at first in order to check quality and fit and also for publicity. At the starting point, I would probably keep a light inventory in stock in the US (probably at home) so it would be easier to get word out locally and suchWhen that's all good, I think it might be a good idea to get them made and ready for "drop shippping" i think (that way, it'll eliminate costs and since they'd be already made, the wait/ship time would be less?)And I wouldn't send my designs to online-retailers..that comes later (w/the success)...I imagine the first few years would mean only my website sells the clothes. Again, these are not completely new or original designs...they're designer-inspired, but with a more modest twist...sounds plausible?

Some tips to start businesshttp://ecommerce-times.blogspot.com

Importing rules: you will have to pay tariffs and duty taxes. Your local customs office can give you the details.Finding a vendor: go to alibaba.com as an example. there are literally thousands of vendors in China, Thailand, Taiwan etc who can do this for you. They will make whatever you want pretty cheap.The question is, do you first invest your money to get the clothes made then try to sell it... or take your design to the websites/on-line retailers first, and if they're interested, will give you a purchase order.

$500-1000 will not get you started in that type of business (maybe 100 times that). Clothing related businesses will never do well online - people have to be able to see the clothes against their bodies, try them on, etc - Importing and dealing with foreign country manufacturing is not for a beginner with no business experience - you should have a few years of retail experience at a minimum to learn fashion trends and about the clothing business in general before you even think about opening a business. Getting a business degree would also help - marketing, retail mgmt, accounting courses
Old 11-07-2011, 10:01 PM

In my opinion one can start the business only when they are enough capital & good knowledge of the work or the business with strong network or contact.I hope you understood the thing which I want to convey it to you.Thanks for giving me opportunity to share the things with you.