Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Fashion & Accessories
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

If I'm ordering clothes/shoes etc. from USA, what will I be charged in terms of shipping?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Default If I'm ordering clothes/shoes etc. from USA, what will I be charged in terms of shipping?

Unfortunately for us, many international companies don't care about the tax laws of each country that they ship to. This is why sometimes you'll get a import tax or VAT duty slapped on your item when it comes to the UK - because that company hasn't paid the tax on your behalf in advance (like a shop would have done if you went in and bought an item over the counter).The amount of tax you'll have to pay is based upon the value of the item and where its come from. I can't tell you that for sure, but the Customs website or helpline may be of more use.Now, its also possible that the company you are buying from does follow UK tax laws, and therefore you won't have to pay anything, but you can never be sure. One final note, people are often annoyed with Royal Mail or Customs for making us pay this tax, but lets be fair - its really the fault of the shippers for not making sure their goods are properly taxed in the countries they're sending to.

Default If I'm ordering clothes/shoes etc. from USA, what will I be charged in terms of shipping?

So loads of American websites ship internationally, and I really want to order some stuff from over the pond. BUT...when I was younger I ordered some stuff from Abercrombie Kids, and when it arrived I was presented with a bill of something like £20-£30 of import duties/customs/taxes or whatnot, which obviously I was not very happy about! However, lots of people on fashion websites always talk about ordering stuff from outside the continent they live in...will I still be charged loads, and if so can anyone tell me about how much? Or tell me where I can find out (I looked on the Royal Mail website but wasn't really sure). Thanks!

Always read the shipping policy in the website before you buy. And always email to the company to confirm the shipping charges before you place your order. In this way, you will not get a shock.

I recently bought a few t-shirts from America and it cost me about £20 extra when I chose international post and packaging then an extra £25 through taxes and such