Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Which Spanish Pronunciation to learn??????

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Which Spanish Pronunciation to learn??????

Well, I don't know much about Spanish specifically, but I think if you knew one dialect you should be able to converse with anyone. Just learn to speak like they do in Spain, or maybe Mexico. There's no "wrong" one. If you went to Australia, you'd be able to speak the way you always do, and everyone would understand. Similarly, if you spoke like you were from Madrid while you were in Peru, you might sound foreign to them but not unintelligible.
I would suggest speaking like a Spaniard as discussions with Europe are probably most important in the world of business, if you were going into that field.

Hello,

You are right, that there are diverse dialects within the Spanish Language. It really depends where you are going...some say you can be understood if a person from Mexico and people from Spain try to communicate.....

sorry if i am not much help but it really depends where you want to visit.

The variations aren't huge. Peruvian Spanish is influenced by Quechua, so its vowels tend to be simplified, and it has seseo and yeyismo. I wouldn't say there was more difference than between London English and the English of Chicago though.

1) Spanish, just like English, may differ not only from country to country but even from city to city. However, people can still communicate since since the variations aren't really huge.
2) If you learn one kind of Spanish (for example, that from Spain), you will not have to re-learn the pronounciation if you visit another Spanish speaking country (like Peru). They will be able to understand you. You may need to learn some words that may be different.
3) Now, I would go for the most widely spoken Spanish: Mexican Spanish, or South American Spanish.
4) Vocabulary will differ from region to region. For example, BUS could be guagua, camión, autobus, micro, microbús, etc. depending on the country/region.
5) Don't worry too much. Just learn the language and enjoy the benefits of speaking a second language!

I am mexican, so Spanish is my first language. I can assure you that Spanish speakers will understand you regardless of which accent you try to acquire. While it is true that accents vary from country to country, and even from region to region in a given country, clear, standard Spanish is widely spoken in major cities from every country.

As a Spanish native speaker, I find it hard to understand a few Cuban words or the way they pronounce them, so I would not go for that one. The same goes for Argentineans.

Your best bet would be to learn the Spanish accent you are going to be using more often in a specific part of the world. Learn Spanish from Spain if you are going to spend a long time in Europe. Or Spanish from Mexico if you ll use it in Central and South America. Then again Spanish speaking people from any country will be able to understand you.

the differences between Spanish from Mexico and from Spain are negligible, some words, the accent itself, and the usage of some verbs.

Example, in Mexico we say
Como ustedes saben, while in Spain they would say
Como vosotros sabeis meaning As you all know.

But we understand them, and they understand us.

Good luck.