Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Is it safe to send my 16-yr-old daughter on a school trip to Peru?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Is it safe to send my 16-yr-old daughter on a school trip to Peru?

Although other posters may disagree with me, I WOULD NOT send my 16 year old daughter to Peru with anyone. I do not care if it is with her school or not. My young, female relative (19) went to Peru on a school trip and it was a nightmare! She lived with a family and stayed with the group the entire time she was there. However, that did not do her any good. She was drugged and raped by a TOUR GUIDE THE SCHOOL HIRED! The school did a poor job of handling the situation and the U.S. embassy was not that helpful. She had to come home early, receive months of counseling, and the only way she could get justice was to go back to Peru to prosecute the rapist.

Anyone who knows anything about rape knows, the last thing a rape victim wants to do is see their rapist again. We fought tirelessly to get her justice in other ways, no lawyers would touch it because the school was a "state entity" meaning they have immunity from being sued and there was no other legal recourse that could be taken because it happened in Peru.

I know my story is a worst case scenario, but I am telling you so you have another person's perspective. If you do decide to send her, I would make sure you have copies of her schedule, airline reservations, passport, phone numbers, and get her a cell phone that will work in Peru! You probably just need to call your cell phone provider and tell them you want worldwide service. I would also go to the organizer of the trip and have a face-to-face conversation with him/her about the trip. Ask them the following questions: (1) How long have you been taking students to Peru? (2) Have you ever had any problems with students while away? (3) What is your plan in the event of an emergency? (4) Where will students stay? (5) Do you hire tour guides? and so on. Answers to these questions should help you make your decision. Best of luck to you! I hope this information helps you. I do not want to scare you, but feel you should know that unfortunate things do happen on school trips.

yeah. should be fine.

I went to Peru when I was 16 and it was one of the best experiences of my life!! I traveled to machu picchu while I was there in which I had to fly, take a bus, and a train! I definitely do not regret going.... people in Peru are very friendly people... the country is really beautiful... so many things to do and see... besides, if she is going with her school she will be fine... I went only with my best friend who is from peru and I was still safe... as long as she is not alone, she will be fine... don't let her miss out on this great opportunity!! she will learn a lot from it...

DOn't worry, she'll be in the tourist areas with all the other gringos.

The transportation by bus-> $#!t The buses are so disgusting including some of the peruvians riding those buses OMG they smell absolutely digusting. Not all peruvians take showers and wash their clothes daily. I was there twice for a total of 7 months. My husband is peruvian, my daughter 1/2 peruvian. Native of Trujillo. Friends from Camana & Cuzco

Check out some pictures.

http://zyrianna.hi5.com
http://myspace.com/danikoehrsen