Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Was it right for airport security to do this to me?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Was it right for airport security to do this to me?

After my trip to Peru and had to go through immigrations I was sent for further questioning. I answered the questions fully and cooperatively, I traveled to see my boyfriend like other passengers I spoke with during the flight,yet somehow I gave off questionable "reasonable suspicion". After searching my bag for possible drug trafficking and throwing around my underwear in public view,they interrogated me on why I had a boyfriend in Peru,whether my parents knew and they even searched through my phone and asked for my parent's number to call them,not only that but one officer asked "What would happen if I told your mom?" as though im somehow minor. It got to a point where 3 of the 4 officers were loudly asking me questions about my relationship irrelevant to what might harm other travelers or drug trafficking,those who werent questioning me gossiped amongst each other loudly enough for everyone to hear. If that was not bad enough they all stated that the only reason my boyfriend was with me was because he wanted a green card, which not only embarrased me in front of the other travelers but truly offended me for such a racist declaration. All in all not only did they leave me wondering why it was that they felt I was suspicious but violated of my private and personal life.
By the way idk if I might have given off "reasonable suspicion" on account on that I am an enormous 5"2 120lbs woman?? >.<

Traveling to a place like peru, where there are drug trafficking problems, it is understandable that they may have searched you. It isnt exactly normal for people to have boyfriends in different countries(no offence). Not that your boyfriend is with you to get a green card, but you would be suprised as to how many people ask americans to marry them, so that they can get citizenship. so it is understandable that they may be suspisous of that, but they should not have talked/searched you in front of other people.

they had suspisions yes the can stop you for that but they had no right to act like that and embarrass you i am hearing momre and more stories like this did you see the news about the lady with the nipple rings it was terrible mabey you should see what happend in that case to see what you can do it happend in texas her name was mandi hamlin

You describe very rude, unprofessional treatment that may be illegal or allow you to sue in civil court. The problem is proof. Do you have names of witnesses? Was the area under camera surveillance?

The other problem is that stories like this come up far too often. Some TSA or local officials are completely unqualified and unsupervised. Write down in detail what happened, with names & badge numbers if possible, names of witnesses, etc. and take it to a lawyer who works on this kind of case. Ask in advance, but it should cost little or nothing just to find out if you have a case.

Where did this happen?