Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Parking in Boston???

Old 06-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Default Parking in Boston???

Hello,

My name is Éric and I live in Montreal (Quebec). I'll be travelling to Boston on Friday June 13th and will stay until June 15th. We made a reservation at the HI-Fenway on Commonwealth Avenue.

I've just read some informations about all the trouble we could get to park in Boston...stress has just got me now :-)

What is the best solution to enjoy my stay in Boston? I read that I should park outside of the city but, we're also going to Mansfield on Friday Night to see the show of REM.

Please help!!! I'm getting confused about all the things I've just read about parking in Boston.

Merci beaucoup!!!

You might be able to find parking at a T-stop for your vehicle, but the T stops running at a certain time. You can also try parking on the side streets which are quite a distance from Fenway.

You can't park on the Boston streets if you do not have a parking permit for Boston, or if you do not have a visitors pass showing in your windshield. You will have to find parking lots to park in. You will be spending money but at least you won't get towed unless you stay there longer than it says you can.

Not trying to scare you but cops here in Boston take parking more seriously. If you park on the street you will either get towed or get a wicked big ticket fine you have to pay.

Hello, my name is Hank and I have residences in both Boston and Montreal (LaSalle area).

I had never heard before of HI-Fenway but I have looked it up and apparently it is affiliated with Hostels International.

It's location is certainly where it is very, very hard to find a parking space. (But the metered street spaces that do exist
are fortunately priced half of Montreal's, and meters need to be fed in Boston only until 18:00, and not on Sundays. However, after two hours in the same space before 18:00 one must move to a new space, or risk a ticket).

There are several parking lots not far from the hotel's location but they are expensive, especially more so when they
service nearby Fenway Park baseball stadium during Red Sox games.

I would suggest that you park your car at either Riverside or Woodlawn T Station ("the T" is the name for the Boston transit system, which includes trains banlieu - much more extensive and frequent in Boston than in Montreal - as well as metro and busses (the bus system is OK but not as good as Montreal's). Riverside and Woodlawn are to the west of the city about 1 - 2 kilometers from the junction of I-95 and I-90 and are on the Green Line, which stops at Kenmore, the metro station near to your hotel. I think the parking charge is $ 3 per day. One can drive easily from either station to Mansfield, and you can pretty much get everywhere in Boston and Cambridge from your hostel hotel via the T (or by walking). Or as an alternative you can take a train banlieu from Boston to Mansfield and arrange for a cab to the Great Woods Performance concert hall (I do not know if there might now be shuttle service from Mansfield Station but you might wish to check). If you do this (take the train to Mansfield) then the easiest place to leave your car outside of the city would be on the north side at Woburn-Anderson banlieu train station which is the last I-93 sortie before you reach
I-95. Take the train from there to North Station, switch there to the Green Line metro, take the Green Line "D" train to Kenmore.

Unless you want to pay a lot each day for parking it definitely will be easier for you to park at either Riverside or Woodlawn, or at Anderson/Woburn. (Actually there are several other better T station locations but they are all not convenient to the autoroutes and so they may not be easy for you to find without getting lost, but if you wish me to tell some to you nevertheless let me know).

Another alternative suggestion: since you are coming on Friday (allow AT LEAST 6 1/2 hours for the drive to your hostel/hotel in Boston) why not advise the hotel of a late check-in and drive directly to Mansfield, then go to your hostel
hotel after the concert at night when there is little traffic??. Then, for the 14th you can move your car around from space to space or, better, drive it not so far away to an unmetered space in a residential area near a T station (the Brookline Village area is a good bet), use the T Saturday, bring your car back and park it near your hostel/hotel Saturday night. Again, there is no meter enforcement for Sunday until you leave.

Have a good trip.

PS: If you are beer lovers there is a fantastic brewpub/restaurant about a 5 minute walk from your hostel/hotel. It is named Boston Brew Works, across from Fenway Park. Better than any in Montreal.

PPS: If you have a hankering for REAL barbeque (there is NOTHING decent in Montreal -- the one on Decarie that promotes itself so much is awful; the one on Sherbrooke not much better, and the entrepreneur who brings genuine Memphis or Carolina BBQ to Montreal is going to make a gazillion dollars!!) the easiest of the best places reachable by the T is Redbones BBQ, about 150 meters walk from Davis metro station (Red Line). I have friends in LaSalle and in Laval that ask me to bring Redbones BBQ back with me for them (the aroma of which gets commented on at Canada Customs!!). For your wine allowance go to Trader Joe's in
Cambridge or Brookline and stock up on its "3 buck Moe" private brand ("J. W. Morris" label -- it actually costs $3 plus sales taxes only in California but $ 4 in Massachusetts, but for some reason Massachusetts charges no sales taxes on alcohol!!!!!). My Montreal friends love most the J.W. Morris
merlot for red and the reisling for the white. Equal to stuff the SAQ sells for $ 15 - 20 per bottle. My Montreal friends also sometimes ask me to get Trader Joe's "controlled label"
(and dammit, I cannot remember at the moment the actual brands) sherries ($ 4.99/bottle versus about $ 15 at the SAQ for equivalent stuff) and Oporto ($ 5.99/bottle, again versus about $ 15 at the SAQ).

I would check with the hotel you are staying at. They usually will park your car for you, it costs a little bit extra, I thik $35 a day, but it is worth it too have your car nearby.