Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

I'm planning on traveling into Mexico with my husband and son.Is it safe for us?Not drugs,but other crime?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Default I'm planning on traveling into Mexico with my husband and son.Is it safe for us?Not drugs,but other crime?

Not anymore dangerous than in the US. Just stay by the hotels & don't go off alone.

Default I'm planning on traveling into Mexico with my husband and son.Is it safe for us?Not drugs,but other crime?

I live in San Diego and I know people are getting killed in Tijuana, Rosarito and Ensenada like CRAZY! I honestly can't say about Chihuahua but I suggest you do a TON of research to make sure it is safe. Good Luck!

Chihuahua, particularly Ciudad Juarez, is one of the most dangerous spots in Mexico right now in terms of the drug violence. While it doesn't specifically target tourists, there is always the possibility of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I cross the border (both into Baja and Sonora) every few weeks without incident. The odds of getting shot or kidnapped for white Americans are fairly slim.

Other types of crime are more common. Car theft (the vehicle itself or parts of it) and car-jackings are very frequent. If you drive down, be sure to find a place to park your car where it will be safe. Don't drive an SUV, truck or other high-end vehicle. A car alarm and even a steering wheel lock are good deterrents, though not guaranteed. Theft from hotel rooms also happens, so don't leave any valuables in your room. Purse-snatchings and such aren't all that common, but you may want to invest in one of those money holders to wear around your waist.

Another common complaint is extortion by local police. You won't find this from federal police or the military, but in some areas, the local cops will target tourists, pull them over and give you a choice of going to the station or paying a fine on the spot. Always elect to go to the station. Chances are that they'll let you go before taking you there.

All that said, I've never (thank God) suffered any criminal incident in Mexico, except for having my cell phone stolen in Mexico City after I forgot to take it out of my rental car when I turned it in. (Twenty minutes later it was turned off and the guys at the car lot said they hadn't found a thing in the car.)

Be cautious, use common sense, and stick to tourist locations, and you should be fine. I've never been to Chihuahua, but Mexico in general (even the border areas) is wonderful. Have fun!

Most areas in Mexico are safe, especially tourist areas. The biggest problem tends to be petty theft but if you are on a resort than even that is not likely to be a problem but do your self a favour and leave all your major bling at home.

Don't go!! There are other places to visit that are safer and more attractive for a family trip. How much fun can it be when you're always looking over your shoulder or waiting for something to happen to you?