Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

H-1B for 2009 approved, wanting to travel abroad before Oct 1?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 AM

Default H-1B for 2009 approved, wanting to travel abroad before Oct 1?

My app for the H-1B VISA was approved in June. Due to the new cap-gap extension I am now working even though my OPT has expired and my work permit only starts on Oct 1. Technically this shouldn't be called a VISA because by itself this process doesn't allow me to enter the country, only to work if I'm already in it.

I asked many people about traveling options. The general consensus is that even if I travel after Oct 1, I'll have to apply for the re-entry VISA (now it's VISA by definition) in my home country (Vietnam) or Canada; nowhere else will work. I however won't be travelling to Vietnam but France.

Here are my questions:

1) If I would like to travel after Oct 1, is there a way to apply for the re-entry VISA when I'm in France?

2) If I would like to travel before Oct 1, is the process more or less the same? Would it be theoretically more difficult since my permit hasn't actually started? I already know that I cant re-enter before September 21 and cannot work work until Oct1.