Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Is bringing hard-drive of computer in the handbag or suitcase while travelling via air-plane abroad ok?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Is bringing hard-drive of computer in the handbag or suitcase while travelling via air-plane abroad ok?

Why not burn the data onto a DVD that way you need less of them. I an not aware of any restrictions to stop you bringing DVDs onto an aeroplane.

You could bring the hard drive if you wish. scanners should not harm but I would keep it, or the DVDs in my hand baggage. Checked in baggage can be subject to pretty rough handling.

Ian M

Default Is bringing hard-drive of computer in the handbag or suitcase while travelling via air-plane abroad ok?

"Ian M" is right, but one word of caution both in Turkey and in Canada all your baggage, checked and carry on is Xray several times, first of all it will wipe the drive clean and you will loose the data and the drive will be formatted, you must ask for it to be hand check and have documentation as to the origin, second as for data CD's, with the new trademark and copyright laws they just passed or will if the Harper government gets there way, and with a box or suitcase full of CD's you may draw attention to the fact you are bringing in pirated software or movies, we have a big problem here with that, all data CD's should be lablled with the index card in the cases, as a blank or written disk maybe seized for scrutiny for it's content, before given back to you, I know bringing a desktop here is impossible and a even laptops have to be hand checked now, just be careful when you do go to the airport in Istanbul and arriving in Canada to have them look at it in a hand checked manner or your going to be very disappointed when you load it into the computer and see a blank harddrive.

I am a former chef, but due to medical issues have been forced to take a less stressful job, I have been a MCSE and A+ tech for 8 yrs now and do some work from home, and have advised my clients the same when travelling, just be very careful about any data that your transporting abroad.

In travelling via airplane from Turkey to Canada is it ok to bring a hard drive of computer whether in hand bag or in the suitcase?
There are lots of information in a computer and all of these information cannot be put as CDs.
I also wondered about bringing written CDs instead, what about that? is that allowed to be brought? and if so how many of them are allowed?
Which way is better and allowed you think? To put all of the computer data on CDs or bringing the hard drive?