Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Can my Husband who is a USA citizen and convicted a crime travel to my country Australia?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Can my Husband who is a USA citizen and convicted a crime travel to my country Australia?

Im from Australia and i came to USA and married my husband here. He is now 22 and at the age of 16 he did time in Juvenille for 1 year and once he came out they sealed his record, but Australia doesnt allow anyone who has convicted any crime in there country. Do you think now that I am an Australian citizen and he is my husband they may allow him to come for a visit? What do you think.....???

Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 AM

Default Can my Husband who is a USA citizen and convicted a crime travel to my country Australia?

It's not true that Australia doesn't allow anyone into the country who has been convicted of any crime - the nature of the conviction and the sentence is taken into account.

The following links are to documents and web pages relating to Australian character requirements. I think you will find that juvenile convictions are either not included at all or you would have a good chance of winning an appeal on a refused visa. In Australia, juvenile convictions are regarded as past history and details are not available to anyone:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/79character.htm
http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/general/general05.htm#q2
http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/general/general05.htm
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47p.pdf

Don't try to hide anything - if hidden information ever comes to light, it will definitely prejudice your case and any granted visa will be cancelled.

It may be a good idea to ask a general question of DIAC i.e. if someone has a juvenile conviction that is now sealed, what effect if any, will it have on a visa application?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:31 AM

well...first, they do let people with convictions into the country...they take it on a case by case basis.....and just because your a citizen means nothing.

as long as he is honest when filling out all the forms etc, then he should be let into the country.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 AM

absolutely. anything he did before he turned 18 shouldn't matter. although, if he hasn't already done this, he should have his juvenile record sealed, so that no one has any access to it. and once he does that, there is really no reason for him to reveal what happened before he turned 18, because NO one has any access to it, not the aussies and not the japanese, NO one. So, contrary to what the "top contributor" above has posted, DO NOT reveal the crime for which the record has been sealed - that would be downright stupid.

(a side note, tongue-in-cheek: i doubt that the aussies would object to having another criminal in a convict colony! )
Old 06-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Yeah,they'll let him in.After all,the bloody country was established to cater for convicts.