Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Can i travel to Australia with a Sealed Criminal Record?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Default Can i travel to Australia with a Sealed Criminal Record?

Im a USA Citizen and realy wants to visit Australia now. My girlfriend is Australian but our problem is that we got my passport and almost the tickets but read on the Australian website that if i convicted a crime that they WILL NOT allow me into there country. Thing is ive sealed my record and i think after 5 or more years that its taken from the file and doesnt count, but for traveling im not sure if thats the case. Do you think that Australia will deney me even if this is so? What do you think..

Old 06-14-2008, 08:58 AM

Each case is unique and obviously the results vary. Obviously it will all depend on the severity of the crime, but recently (6 months ago) some famous American residents were denied entry due to criminal records. And one of them (Snoop Dogg) hasn't had a recent conviction that I know of, so it all depends on the severity of the crime.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Seems to me, the only records they seal, are Jvenille records! When you applied for your passport, was there any question about "have you ever been convicted of a crime"? And, if so, did you put "yes" or "no"? If you only intend on visiting Australia, and NOT to become a permanent resident, I don't think the Aussie authorities are going to jump your bones! Check this out with an attorney in International law. What tickles me is, back in 1770's up until the 19th century, England was shipping their convicts to Australia, just to get rid of them! I am sure there many Present Day Australians who are descendants of those poor souls!! I can understand the Aussies trying to keep the criminal element out of their country, and other undesirables, but, come on! It's only a visit!!
Old 06-14-2008, 09:17 AM

http://www.immi.gov.au/faq/general/general04.htm

these are the rules regarding criminal records for Australia.