Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Traveling to Peru and need some trip advice?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Default Traveling to Peru and need some trip advice?

You don't need that much money in Peru. You can easily live of $20 a day, but it all depends on your preferences and travel style and how much shopping/partying/activities you want to do. Travelers cheques are accepted in touristy places, but realistically atms are available everywhere so there is really no need to bother about travelers cheques. You will need clothes for both cool and hot climates, I wouldn't wear shorts around Lima if I were you because locals just don't wear them and if you're a girl believe me it really does attract extra attention from the men. In Cusco or anywhere in the mountains it will get really cold! But chances are you'll end up buying a whole bunch of woolly hats and jumpers so don't bring too much stuff. Buses within in cities are really cheap and a bit of an adventure, you pretty much just flag down a bus/cramped van that has a sign on the front of where you want to go. I say go for it because it is an experience in itself, just watch your bag. Taxis are fine too, just make sure you get one that is registered, and bargain hard with the fare because they will try and rip you off. There are stories floating round Peru about dodgy taxi robberies etc, but I nor anyone I ever met had experiences of this firsthand, but it still doesn't hurt to be careful, try and stay in a group when you are catching taxis at night.

no
a sweater for Lima will be OK and a jacket will be OK FOR Cuzco.
In the city its bette to take taxis, but if you can call an agency instead of just taking one on the street i t will be better

I think 1 and 2 are already answered pretty well, and I agree - no travelers checks.

3) The person that said shorts is daft. It's cold, even though the thermometer doesn't seem like it. The humidity, plus the fact that VERY few places are heated means the cool creeps into you and there's no place to go to warm up. I wear jeans, thermal socks and a jacket inside my house, not to mention gloves and a scarf when I go outside.

4) If you're traveling alone, I wouldn't recommend buses or taxis on the street unless you feel very sure of yourself and your destination. Best bet, as some have mentioned - have your hotel call for a taxi. Taxis from the airport are generally safe, but don't go outside the airport looking for a bus or taxi.

Have a great trip.

It depends where you are going, but don't listen to people who say it won't be cold! I was in Colca Canyon, Arequipa and Cuzco in March and it got really cold at times, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT! If you are going anywhere at altitude it will probably be quite cold. I had long thermal pants and top, and I wore a scarf a lot of the time. I imagine July-August will be even colder. Plus I hear Lima gets quite misty and miserable in winter. I would take jeans, boots, jerseys, and a jacket. I found it quite hard to find decent clothes. But hats, gloves, socks etc made from Alpaca were easy to find, but not necessarily suitable for all occasions!

Around smaller cities we walked a lot of the time (but we were in a group of 4, with 2 big guys), and also got taxis. We didn't have any problems with taxis. But ask at your hotel and they can let you know if they have had any problems, coz i hear they are quite common. Taxis normally charged by person, but they were quite cheap, only a couple of dollars or less.

Food at a nice resturant was normally less than the equivalent of $5-10US for a meal, some places even cheaper.

As for using ATMs instead of travelers cheques, I think this would be a good idea. However, we had some problems, with our banks at home trying to cancel our cards etc. So it is probably a good idea to let them know where you are planning to travel to!

Have a great trip!