Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Crossing Border in a Tour Bus?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Crossing Border in a Tour Bus?

I'm just asking for a friend. She's going to be going on one of those tour bus vacations from Vancouver BC down to the States, and she was wondering what the experience is like (compared to driving for example). She hasn't been on a tour bus and crossed borders before so she was just wondering what it's like and the differences. She said she thought hearing somewhere that it's less of a hassle?

Do border guards (both going into US, and re-entry back into Canada) do searches for tour bus (like in cars sometimes? She's not going on one of those chartered buses, but one of those tour company buses with like 5 day trips including hotel etc. along the west coast.

Besides the usual ID for land travel (passports not needed yet, right?), is there anything else? Is it less of a hassle in comparison to going via car?

Crossing the border takes a bit longer than driving, they will enter the bus, check everyone's id and birth certificates (which is all that is required crossing the border by land right now...you can use a passport if you have one). They only search the bus if they see something suspicious. Usually with a tour company they let you go after checking ID's. They get so many busses, and it takes so long to check each that they really dont do random checks. I'd say it takes about 10 min to get across once the guards have boarded the bus.

AS for tour companies. It depends what company...some are GREAT, some are not so great. the only one I can recommend from experience is Contiki, it is for ages 18 - 30 though (I don't know your friend's age). I usually prefer driving, I like to do things at my own pace, stop when I see something interesting. But tour companies have their benefits too...no planning required, they usually have good itineraries and make sure you see a variety of things, and they know what they are talking about. You may learn more about something than you would on your own if you don't research before hand (or can't find someone to ask questions).

But I don't think there is any more or less of a hassle on a bus versus car.

Sometimes it take 2 hours to across, you need to take all you belongs out of bus, and they will search the bus, and maybe your luggage,mostly for drug and animal, fruits something.

You need passport , drive license, and travel document such as reservation.