Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Consulting in the US - tax questions?

Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2008, 03:13 AM
gonorth gonorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,853
Feedback: (0)
Default Consulting in the US - tax questions?


I am a canadian resident who will be working on a consulting contract in the US (NYC) under the TN status.

I share an apartment in Quebec with my girlfriend but will have to rent an apartment in NYC as I'll be working from there.


1) Given I will be working in the US, will I be paying US or Canadian taxes? I can start in late June or July, so have the option of being 6 months + 1 day in either country: does it changes the answer, if so, is US the best option?

2) As a consultant, I can get tax deductions for my business expenses. Does that apply to
- apartment rental in NYC if I'm working at the client (in full as an hotel would be or only fraction e.g. my office)?
- travel to Canada (as I have a residential tie over there), I intend to fly back every other week


Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

| Business Forum | Toronto Chinese

All times are GMT +9. The time now is 08:19 PM.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2007 Made In China Talk