Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

I thought Canada was a bilingual country?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Default I thought Canada was a bilingual country?

well I kinda disagree with your comments. In airports, government buildings and a few tourist places, the signs are in french and english in BC, outside of those places, signs are not in French and English. Infact there are lots of signs that aren't in either language. It would be far easier to find a (commercial) sign that was in Chinese, Korean, or Hindi, then it would to find a sign in french! BC is different from the other provinces, there are hardly any french speaking people here. I speak french, and I have only used it 1 time in 5 years- as a result I am slowly losing my french as there isn't anybody to talk to! But you are right about the food packaging, it needs to be bilingual, that is federally regulated- meaning that the individual provinces don't have any say about it.

But to answer your question the signs in quebec are in french to preserve the french language. English is so pervasive that within a few generations, French wouldn't be spoken in Quebec if it weren't for the french language laws. As a result there is no equivalent law pertaining to English, as it is the dominant language and isn't likely to be lost.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM

Ugh tell me about it, it's so stupid for us to have to have everything in half French. And then the French come up here (The Yukon) "Bla bla build us a Francophone Centre, where's our rights, we wanna seperate, how come no one speaks French?". And you go to Quebec and they are rude to you for not speaking French....

What the heck.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Quebec was mainly settled by the French years ago, therefore, French is the main language as a result. I never knew that everything was in French only there. Seems pretty unfair to the rest of us. I live in the Province of Newfoundland, which is the most English speaking province in all of Canada, and everything here is in both English and French.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 AM

In a sense, Canada has it all. It has great cities - Montreal and Vancouver may be the best choice for many. In the vast rural areas - skiing, sailing and watching the wilderness forever.