Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Montreal and Quebec: If I Don't Speak French, Should I Not Even Bother Going?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Default Montreal and Quebec: If I Don't Speak French, Should I Not Even Bother Going?

I had heard many awful things about travelling in Quebec, and I was so scared to go there. I don't speak much french. When I got there people were so friendly to me and I had a great time. I didn't find any meanies.
Just be friendly and remember that you are the tourist, and if you want assistance, go out of your way with the please and thanks. Oh and enjoy your trip, it is especially beautiful in the winter, do you like to ski?

You might also want to stop in Kingston (a beautiful city, there is always lots to see and do), and of course Ottawa.

Default Montreal and Quebec: If I Don't Speak French, Should I Not Even Bother Going?

Chick-a-dee is right on.

In Montreal there are probably more English-speakers than French-speakers now so you'll have no problem speaking English there, especially in the downtown area or any tourist places (museums, attractions, sightseeing spots, restaurants, etc.)

Quebec City is one of the most visited cities in Canada and their residents are more than used to having tourists around. It also boasts an English-speaking population of 20,000 people. Native French speakers are used to speaking English with tourists and will gladly speak to you in English (especially in the Old Town), so no worries there.

Trying out the little French you know will get you a LONG way. Quebecers appreciate it a lot when you try to speak their language, however bad your French may be, it doesn't matter. And as chick-a-dee said, if you get corrected (or if someone repeats after you with the correct form), don't take it the wrong way, it's not a sign of rudeness, they're actually trying to help you along.

So you won't get dirty looks, I promise.

If you're travelling to Montreal or Quebec City, don't worry -- people will not be rude to you for speaking English.

In Montreal there are a number of people who live there who do not know a word of French. It's pretty bilingual.

In Quebec City, there are a lot more French speakers than in Montreal, but a lot of them know a little bit of English...especially in the touristy areas. This year, since they're celebrating the 400th anniversary, there are A LOT of tourists and they have tour guides in both English and French. They won't think any less of you for speaking English.

Have fun on your trip!