Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Hotels under $100/night in July? And what to pack?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Hotels under $100/night in July? And what to pack?

Anything easily accessible by public transportation, or within 30 minutes walking distance, to the ferry terminal.
I don't need a lot of service or attention, just a clean, safe place to sleep. I'm generally most comfortable in a 2- or 3- star small motel-type place in a good neighborhood.
I want to take the ferry to Victoria/Vancouver. I was in Vancouver before and loved the ferry. I can think of no better way to de-stress in a short amount of time on a budget.
Also, how much wind or rain can I expect in July? I understand it's pretty warm (weather.com), but probably cooler by the water? I like to wear flowy skirts and dresses, which is not possible in San Francisco. Do I need a lot of sweaters, a heavy coat? Or can I just wear a t-shirt and light jacket?
Any other advice for a woman travelling alone who's not interested in tourist traps, is appreciated as well
I'm looking at Seattle, WA, not Chicago..

i have the AC blowing cold now, you will not need a sweater for the next 4 months. an umbrella might be needed at times. but from now through october, you won't see temps lower than mid 60's.

do research, naperville, lisle and downers grove for hotels, buy a 10 ride pass on metra, hotels here are new and will all seem like 4/5 stars to you. downtown chicago, you're next to the lake, it's windy most of the time. i've re-discovered chicago last year. i've taken great pics over the last year (i have to go every 3 months due to eye surgeries) and photography is one of my hobbies.

no heavy coats needed, if near the lake, a light jacket for winds, if needed at all. July it'll be HOT mostly, just cooler at the lake in the morning.

I live in Seattle so I don't have a really good grasp of hotel prices in general, aside from a few places I've stayed at. They ranged from extremely cheap (and I'd never recommend to a woman travelling alone!) to more expensive, like just getting one for a night out on the town and stay in a nice hotel, which was over the $100 price range.

As for the weather, you can expect it to be sunny and most likely in the mid-70's to even up to the 90's. 90's are a little rarer, though we do have at least a few days that are each summer. Probably in the 80's and rain will be scarce, though I wouldn't rule it out 100%! Should be blue skies and people consider summer started after the 4th of July around here. You def won't need a lot of sweaters and a heavy coat. A t-shirt would do just fine, so long as you just have something, just on the random chance that there is rain!

You might want to double check your travel plans. there are no Washington State ferries from Seattle to Victoria/Vancouver. The Victoria Clipper is your only water option from Seattle that I know of.

Otherwise, you need to travel to Anacortes or Port Angeles to catch a ferry to Victoria. And you can't get to either one by ferry transport from Seattle.

In general, the wind and rain should subside in July, but we haven't seen it yet, and it's sometimes mid-July before we really get "summer" weather. Even on nice days evening temps will still be in the lower 60's, so a jacket or sweater is still needed.

Can't help much with the hotels. July is high season and I expect anything downtown or nearby will be more expensive than $100 per night.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Try the Eastlake Inn on Eastlake Ave E. It is about 15 minutes away from the downtown core on the #70 bus, which runs right in front of the motel every 15 minutes. Eastlake is a very quiet, safe neighborhood and there are several neat cafes within a couple of blocks of the motel (Louisa's is great for breakfast or lunch, the 14 Carrot Cafe is a MUST for breakfast, and surprise surprise, there's even a Starbucks).

As far as the clothes, I would say you'll be OK with your skirts and dresses, definitely bring a light rain coat (nothing too warm...just a "shell"), and a sweater for evenings. We're in a "La Nina" year which means cooler and wetter than normal. It's been a rough spring so far and we're all still waiting for the sunshine! So while July may normally be the best month to visit, you never know.

There is no ferry from Seattle to Vancouver, just the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, then you can take a Canadian ferry from Victoria to Vancouver.