Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > China Travel Talk > Travel America - America Travel Talk
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

what do i need to do if i want to travel to Quebec with little money?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:13 AM

Default what do i need to do if i want to travel to Quebec with little money?

to study a career and then be a permanent resident ?

If is it possible i want some tips about how can i live on in the beginning of my arrival
Is that true that doing part time jobs you can be paid per hours? is being said ,how much you can earn per hour and if the province the quebec would allow me to work and study at the same time?

First of you better speak french very well because you won't be able to get a minimum wage job without it. By this statement, " Is that true that doing part time jobs you can be paid per hours?", you mean paid in cash? Depending on the job and who you are working for the answer is yes BUT if you mean a McJob then the answer is nope

The link below should take you to the Quebec government web site , BTW the minimum wage is $8/hr

In Montreal, there are two big English universities:
- McGill University
http://www.mcgill.ca/
- Concordia University
http://www.concordia.ca/

There are also two big French universities:
- Universite de Montreal
http://www.umontreal.ca/
- Universite du Quebec a Montreal (UQAM)
http://www.uqam.ca/

There are other universities in the province (Bishop's, Universite de Sherbrooke, U of Q, etc) but I am assuming the larger city and some English may be what you are looking for.

All of these schools (to my knowledge) have programs to accept international students. However, the tuition fees for international students are not cheap. In fact, most are more expensive than for Canadian students (around CAD$25,000), so earning money to pay the fees and books and such can be quite difficult.

There are ways to earn money to pay for your costs and livinmg expenses, such as part time jobs at local restaurants and such. That is allowed if you obtain a student work permit.

The minimum wage in Canada is around $8.00 per hour if you are working at a legal job. There are some companies that will hire people "under the table". That term means that they hired you but they don't have to pay benefits for you (like insurance, holiday pay, or sick leave) but they may do this if you are willing to work for less than minimum wage. Some jobs that will do this are babysitter, house cleaner, gardener, and maid or butler. It is not recommended practice, as you can easily be taken advantage of, and you will not have much recourse if you get ripped off, like the owner deciding he won't pay you or gives you less than he promised.

And like Dangerman said, if you want to get a job here anywhere in Quebec but Montreal, you will pretty much need to speak French.

Take a look at the Canada Immigration website (below) for details about the student visas to come here, what you can do for work while here, and check the costs at the schools and what is available. Only then can you decide if you can afford the expenses when you get here.

motivation

make you get a visa that allows you to work in canada , or else you wont find jobs that are willing to hire you.