Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Office Supplies
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Why can't the government tighten their belt also?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Why can't the government tighten their belt also?

Why can’t the administration just admit that all these different programs are going to be paid for either by us in the form of higher costs for everything or by our children and grandchildren who will end up paying a massive national debt. (and yes, I know Bush helped run that up also). Do they think we are totally unaware of the fact that there is no such thing as a free lunch in this country?Below is my take on things and if I am wrong, I would really appreciate someone telling me how and where I am wrong. ThanksCap and Trade Bill:1.Taxes or fees will be placed on those companies that use and produce oil, natural gas and coal.2.This will increase their costs and those increases will be passed on to us in the form of higher prices for the products produced by them. For example, Pres. Obama stated during the campaign, that when cap and trade was implemented, our electric bills would skyrocket.3.Other companies will also experience higher costs because of the above mentioned increases and they also will have to tag on that extra cost when they sell the products to the stores. This will result in higher wholesale prices.4.The stores will also have experienced extra costs for their fuels and will then pass those extra costs on to us in the form of higher mark ups from the wholesale price. This will mean, that each and every one of us, whether rich or poor will be paying more for everything. No, the poor and middle class will not be taxed….but we will end up paying higher prices instead…so the end result will be the same. We have less money to spend, and our dollar will be worth less (inflation)Basically, the same thing would hold true for the Health Care Reforms that are being bantered around congress right now. Again, there is no free lunch. No matter HOW the government covers the medical costs for those individuals without insurance, the tax payer will be footing the bill either in direct taxes paid to the government, or in higher costs for our private health insurance that we carry. Either way, we lose.I am not against finding and developing alternate energy sources and I am certainly not against all people having access to decent health care, but why can’t the administration take responsibility for cutting their own costs so you and I do not have to pay so much out of our own pocket?For example: How much money is wasted on Washington parties, dinners, banquets etc? How many unnecessary projects are paid for out of tax money…like saving the Marsh Mouse or building tunnels for turtles so they don’t get smucked on the roads? Are you aware that the government spends more for a ream of paper to print on than I do if I go to my local small town office supply house? How about just using some common sense when it comes to purchasing? If I am not seeing this right, I truly do want to know. But don’t just say you are wrong. Tell me how and where I am off base here?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:50 AM

The government's financial platform is on fire.We need entitlement reforms not more entitlements and not more schemes to increase revenue to the government.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:00 AM

You are right on every point. However, the government really doesn't care about the little people, look around, you can't find a single congressman who isn't worth at least one million dollars(and they only get paid around150 thousand annually, so just take a guess as to where that money comes from). Since these financial problems wont affect them, they don't care about them. With the health care bill, they have all always been guaranteed one of the best health care systems in the country until they die, just for sitting in a chair and voting, even if they are only there for a day. Thus, they don't understand how these things work for those of us who actually have to pay, and have to deal with annoying health insurance companies who think they know more than the doctors.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 AM

1. Cap and trade will cost the consumer in the end. But not all that much. And the alternative is to leave a warmer, dirtier, less hospitable planet to our children and grand children. I will never understand the rights's complete and total abandonment of small sacrifices today for a better future. It's all about me, me, me, mine, mine, mine. If you don't see it that way I point out that federal tax rates have not been lower than anytime in the last 70 years. Yet the government can't pay its bills and all conservatives want is to lower their taxes even further, leaving nothing to the next generation but a crumbling, dirtier, warmer country with a mountain of our debt. Positively Shameful.2. Health insurance reform is not about government paid health care (although it should be in my opinion). It is about changing the system so that insurance is available to all and the the tax payer is not stuck with paying for the emergency care of those without insurance. The government and tax payer will need to pony up some to get the ship of health insurance on a new course, but in the end it should save everyone money with 48 million new people in the insurance pool and lower cost of services.3. All of the discretionary spending in Washington, all of the pork, all of the waste, all of it does not amount to much compared to Defense, Medicare, Social Security and Service on the Debt. eliminating all of that spending (not just the waste, but all of it) would not even cut this years deficit in half. Government should be efficient and not wasteful, and we should never let up. But that is not where the big bucks are.So I don't think you see it quite right.