Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Office Supplies
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Why are customers in retail SO rude?!?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Default Why are customers in retail SO rude?!?

I don't think these people are singling you out ... these people are just rude ditto!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 AM

there are some things you will just have to get past and that is one of them. don't take it personally, that is how they would treat anyone in that situation.i believe that your feeling that anyone over 40 who works in retail has failed in life is misplaced, though. i know many people who work in positions that are less than glorious to the rest of us for many reasons. perhaps they are content to contribute to household income, or are taking a second job to put children through college or build a home, or save extra for retirement. you don't know where they are coming from. also, some people do not look at monetary wealth or position as a measure of their own value in life, which could lead to greater contentment. when you are 40+ you will understand that even if you are in a high station, don't have to work or have lots of money, it may not necessarily lead to happiness and peaceful life.keep up the hard work, always be on time, and one day you will own your own business, and be rushing to the store at the last minute and a kind young person will understand how you got to where you are and share the milk of human kindness, and just let you in so you can get home to your home and/or kids...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:44 AM

Well when you close why don't you lock the door? In general in the place I work, customers who are in the door before we lock the door are gently encouraged to complete their purchase choices, while a manager stands there and unlocks the exit for them. Being open until 7 should not mean you shut down the cash register at 6:45, which I have seen in some places and is kind of tacky. Every store needs at least half an hour after closing just to clean up and get ready for the next day anyway so what is the big deal? Not everyone, by the way who is over 40 who works in retail is a loser by the way. Maybe it is your attitude towards the public. When you stop thinking everyone out there is a pig, you may start finding people nicer and less rude. What you see in society is often just the reflection of your own attitude towards it. If you are in retail you must resign yourself to being nice regardless of what is happening inside the twisted minds of the customer. Most people I deal with are polite and the rude ones, well, just smile and let the manager handle them.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 AM

It is the position of superiority that brings about peoples darker nature. Plus people tend to get irritated when something is not working out as it is supposed to and it is easier to blame the person in front of you than someone you can't see.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I've been working in retail stores for over 10 years. I really believe that people shouldn't shop when they are in a hurry. I think the rude people think if they are rude they'll get special treatment because some managers and bosses really do believe that the customer is always right.