Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Office Supplies
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Who else can I report to about former employer who owes me money?

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Canada Canada is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,783
Feedback: (0)
Default Who else can I report to about former employer who owes me money?

I left this job this passed February.I used my own money for supplies that were used for work in December 2008. I submitted my receipts which totaled more than $180 along with the administrator's approval (his signature) to HR who then was supposed to submit it to the corporate office.She never submitted it.While I was still working there I made sure to ask her several times what the status of my reimbursement was and she would never give me a straight answer.Before my last day I asked her again and she said that she would be in touch with me.After not hearing from her for a couple of weeks I e-mailed her and again her reply was that she was looking into it.I contacted her corporate supervisor who assured me she would get to the bottom of the situation and ultimately stopped returning my calls.I then contacted the vp of the company via e-mail who forwarded my complaint to the district manager and he and I spoke a few times over the phone and communicated through e-mail. Since he is usually not in town he finally referred me to the new administrator and when I contacted her she never responded.This has gone on for 9 months.The copy of the receipts were kept in my office when I was still working for that company and they were lost when my furniture was moved around on a day that I was not there (although I don't believe those copies were lost deliberately, probably just swept up) so I no longer have itemized receipts but I do have my credit card bill.No one in the company is refuting my claim whatsoever but they just keep ignoring me. They asked me for the credit card bill and since I don't have hard copies of my statements because I do it all on computer I e-mailed them my statement. They have asked for an "original" but if I don;t get a hard copy I don;t think I should have to keep going out of my way since I already did what was required on my end.I have contacted Wage & Labor but they told me there wasn't anything they could do since they are not withholding my actual pay.What should I do at this point.Handing this over to my attorney would most likely cost me more than what they owe me and they have wasted enough of my time that I refuse to let them force me to take this to small claims court. I'm wondering if I make one last attempt, if they ignore me, should I go public and drag their name through the mud?Isn;t there some other agency I can report their misconduct? Can they just be allowed to screw empolyees over with no reprocussion?
Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM
help help is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,871
Feedback: (0)
Default Who else can I report to about former employer who owes me money?

It sounds like you are in a very tough and unfair spot.It also sounds like the corporation is not willing to repay you, ever. Also, if wage and hours is not helping you there is not much else that you can do.Going public and dragging their name through the mud is not going to get you anywhere.If you can, talk to your attorney. Sometimes they will listen to your story and give you advice before they charge you a fee.The only other department that you can talk to is your State's Department of Employment Services.Or you can talk to your credit card company and possible dispute the charges.Good luck and I hope you get reimbursed.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
commerce commerce is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,120
Feedback: (0)
Default Who else can I report to about former employer who owes me money?

You could go to small claims court. You don't need to pay an attorney for that. But I don't know if you would win since you don't have the actual receipts. But you do have the credit card statement, so that helps. Instead of just calling and emailing random people at the company, you need to figure out the right person who is in charge of the accounting and send them a CERTIFIED LETTER explaining the situation. Include in the letter a copy of your credit card statement listing what you bought for the company. Tell them in the letter, if they do not rectify the situation, you will take them to small claims court and sue. Look up "demand letters" online for examples. They are more likely to take you serious if it is in writing.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

| Business Forum | Toronto Chinese

All times are GMT +9. The time now is 02:54 PM.

All rights reserved. Copyright 2007 Made In China Talk