Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Agriculture
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Should the US choose a source other then corn for alt fuel E85, import/grow sugar cane for one?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 AM

Default Should the US choose a source other then corn for alt fuel E85, import/grow sugar cane for one?

I was suprized to read how Obama is so for corn based ethanol even though it is driving up food costs versus sugar cane and maybe other sources, what say you?

Default Should the US choose a source other then corn for alt fuel E85, import/grow sugar cane for one?

everyone should use other sources other than corn for alternative fuels. Algae is one of the best and for power how about solar (we haven't begun to tap that). As for the price of food being driven up by corn prices being higher, is crap. The farmer who grows the corn is getting a higher price but the cost of the flour in bread for example has gone from 2 cents to 6 cents. What is really driving up the cost is transportation and the all the middle men trying to take more profits.

The US government should not choose, the market should.If oil is scarcer, then prices will go up and people, groups and firms will adjust their usage of it. And it will be profitable to give employees the work from home option (virtual commute) It will also automatically become very profitable to bring alternatives without they aid of an "overseer"The problem with gov't intervention is that it takes away natural prices, and poeple no longer have a reliable indicator of value to make economical decisions that ultimately make society use resources effectively and efficiently, and which ultimately make society properly adapt to changing resource availability.

It should be a source that isn't food for either people or animals! How about weeds and lawn clippings! I am ready to donate mine how about everyone else? For a man that has a credentials from Harvard he doesn't seem to have a very real grasp on things does he!

well, sugar cane is probably the worst idea i've heard in a while considering the ONLY place in our country that it possible to grow is Hawaii. But yes, other sources are needed. the human race has known how to produce a combustible fuel out of grass longer than it has known how to make gasoline out of oil. it's time we start living differently and the current situations will force us to make the change. i truly hope we run out of oil soon so it makes us look for better answers.