Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Import > Jewelry & Eyewear
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

How is this not ethnic profiling?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM

Default How is this not ethnic profiling?

Not all Arabs are terrorists. But a lot of terrorists are Arabs. Ethic profiling is an excellent way to screen for terrorists. Sorry, but this is true. It sucks for you but is good for the rest of us.It is just a fact under the current world situation. Hope you are able to deal with it someday.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 AM

I'm a single white male who just turned 30. I've made about 10 international trips in the last 5 years. I get stopped every single time and singled out for a "random" search. I've been strip searched, had my belongings searched, and asked a bevy of questions. In your case it may be ethnic profiling, or you just might be randomly grabbed. Im sorry I know how much it sucks.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that with few exceptions, Islamic fundamentalism is practiced by Arabs (and Persians also).Not all, not most, but some. And enough of that some controls Iran, Al-Qaeda and other terrorist related fundamentalist groups.And as much as it pains me to say, thousands of peoples lives are not worth any individuals discomfort at being asked extra questions or given a second look.If you had a son or daughter kidnapped, would you describe the persons race as an identifying factor? Or would the you expect the police to NOT question EVERY person in the area who may happen to match the ethnic description?Terrorism just needs one chance to succeed.The people who fight terrorism here just need to let the succeed once and we will have another 9/11...
Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Clearly this is ethnic profiling. The question would be whether that is justified. On international flights, you can bet any Arab name (which Muslims of any nation have) is going to be "randomly searched." Of course, that's not random, and so is a contradiction in terms. On the other hand, random searches of some other people are ludicrous and unjustified. The problem is always-does this work, and do the benefits outweight the resentment Muslims (or just people with Arab names and the wrong skin color, like you) react with? Some actually say that Muslims shouldn't complain, since they're part of that community and should prevent terrorism internally somehow. Apart from the "Am I my brother's keeper" argument, it's not like Bin Ladin is going to ever be "persuaded" by moderates. True, a change in the community is good, but "random" searches in airports don't seem likely to change it. That said, I recognize that a legitimate danger exists. This is a very hard issue, and one I deeply regret puts you in the bullseye. Some person on here actually said you should change your name-for shame! There are Christians, Jews, Bahai's, etc., with similar names, even if they're much fewer. Should they change their names? Besides, are we going to single out people for having the wrong name? Sikhs are killed whenever Muslim terrorism occurs, because people mistake them, but even sympathetic observers seem to forget that killing innocents will never be justified retaliating for the same. That's what terrorists do, and it's always wrong.