View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 PM
gonorth gonorth is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,853
Feedback: (0)
Default how does a UK citizen remain in the USA after marrying an American on a travel visa??

You get in trouble if you enter the US with the intention of getting married, not if it's a spur of the moment thing. Regardless, getting married on a visa that does not normally allow it attracts more scrutiny to your case.

Your question suggests to me that you already have intent to get married on his tourist visa and that is immigration fraud... I wouldn't try it if I were you. The burden is on you to prove that you did not commit immigration fraud, because they will assume that you did. If you did commit fraud, then that's all the harder to disprove. And they're used to it, trust me. And when you get caught and convicted, your loved one gets deported and banned from entering the US for 10 years. But sure, you can try.

Lots of people are in the same situation and most of them try to do it the right way (fiancÚ or spousal visa). I did.
It's hard not to see your loved one for months but... you know, we're adults, we get over it. We're proof that long distance relationships can work if you want them to. With the advent of the Internet and advanced means of communications, it's not hard to keep in touch daily. Plus he's in the UK. It's not the Sahara.

Do a K-1 (fiancÚ visa); that's the honest recommendation from a person who came in on a K-1.
Reply With Quote